Supporting Local Business in the BH10 & 11 Postcodes
Heathlands is a one form entry primary academy located in West Howe close to the Children's Centre, West Howe Library, Henry Brown Youth Centre, Fernheath Play and the local shops. We have around 200 pupils from Reception age 4 through to year 6 age 11. We are also fortunate to have our wonderful preschool for 3 and 4 year olds on site as part of our Early Years base.
We have wonderful outside facilities - 2 playgrounds, our woodland area and a large playing field to support our learning. We are part of the Coastal Learning Partnership.
At Heathlands we believe that with effective teaching and learning and excellent partnership with parents all children can be successful. Children can begin their journey at Heathlands in the school's preschool and remain at the school until they leave, ready to begin their secondary education, at the end of Year 6.
Our three key values underpin the work that is done at Heathlands, these being: Respect, Excellence and Integrity. Through these values, and the school's curriculum, pupils are well prepared for their next stage of education. are.
Come and visit West Howe Library we are next to the Henry Brown Community Centre, near the local shopping parade and Children's Centre. The library holds a number of events during the week and it is advised to call ahead to check availability.
We currently offer:
West Howe Community Enterprises was established by local residents in 2009 to improve communications about the area and make this a better place to live. We have since become a registered Company and a registered Charity.
Our group improves communication in the area by coordinating activities, learning opportunities and by providing safe places to meet.
We run the Inspiring Change Shop in Cunningham Crescent where you can buy low cost goods in store. You can donate your unwanted items by dropping them into the shop.
We also run Henry’s Café inside Henry Brown Centre and manage the building as a community asset. We co-ordinate a host of activities for and with the community including social and support groups, training workshops, give and take days and much more…
East Howe School
In 1911 the Dorset County Council built an entirely new school in the East Howe area on a site situated in Kinson Road. These premises provided accommodation for 310 children of all ages. By the time this part of Kinson was incorporated in Bournemouth in 1931 it had been necessary to provide three additional classrooms in temporary wooden constructions and the Bournemouth Authority had to provide still further accommodation soon afterwards, and at the same time to hire accommodation for the Infants’ section of the school. A separate Infants’ section was accommodated in premises belonging to the Congregational Church and the school had to continue‘in very crowded conditions until entirely new premises were completed in Hadow Road in 1936. In 1937 new premises were also provided in Hadow Road for the senior boys and girls and the original premises erected in 1911 were then adapted for use as a Junior School. A new Junior School was built in 1967; since then, the premises in Kinson Road have been used as additional accommodation for the infant children of the Kingsliegh (former East Howe) First School. In connection with the rapid development of the West Howe and Cudnell areas since the end of the war in 1945, several new schools have been built.
“LAST of the old Dorset schools is replaced,” ran the Echo headline in September 1968, as the town prepared for the opening of Kingsleigh Junior. The town was spending a lot of money on replacing and modernising its schools. In North Bournemouth, the old East Howe Junior School on Kinson Road, built in 1911, was being replaced by a new premises on Hadow Road costing £117,000 and accommodating 480 pupils. “Among the features of its 12 classrooms are that each has an area set aside for practical work. One classroom is fitted with a pottery kiln,” the Echo reported. “The new school also includes a kitchen catering for up to 400 in which is fitted a new type of kitchen equipment of standardised design intended specially for local authority use.”
Kingsleigh Junior existed 2003, when it was merged with the neighbouring Kingsleigh First and Nursery to make Kingsleigh Primary. Jan Collins, headteacher of Kingsleigh First and Nursery, became the head of the new combined school.
A century ago the first purpose-built school in East Howe opened in Kinson Road, Bournemouth. East Howe Elementary was a mixed school catering for 129 pupils between the ages of five to fourteen under the headmastership of William Henry Thomas.
Two years earlier Dorset Education Committee, seeing a need for a school in East Howe, acquired land in Kinson Road and applied for planning permission to build a new school. But as the population was growing rapidly, a temporary school had to be set up in a disused Congregational Chapel in East Howe Lane.
By 1937 a new school had been set up along Kinson Road. Pupils from the age of 11 were taught at the two single sex schools, East Howe Girls and East Howe Boys Secondary Schools. The roadway leading to the new school was later named Hadow Road after Sir William Hadow who produced the Hadow Report on Education, recommending the introduction of secondary schools and raising the school leaving age to 15.
In 1967 the two single sex schools amalgamated to become Kingsleigh Secondary School and after a major refurbishment in 2000 the school was re-named Kings High School.
After several years of poor examination results and falling numbers, the Department for Education approached Canford School to sponsor Kings High School by offering time, expertise and support but without any financial input. In September 2010 the newly renamed ‘The Bourne Academy’ opened its doors with new staff, a new principal and a distinctive black, white and pink uniform.
Since the Academy opened, exam results have improved dramatically. A £10million investment programme has included major building and refurbishment along with exciting 21st century state-of-the-art Information Technology. The building works were completed in September 2013 and coincided with the opening of a new 6th Form block, enabling The Bourne Academy to continue to offer a quality education for boys and girls up to the age of 18 years old.
The History of the East Howe Congregational Churches and Burial Ground
1834 - 2015
Written By Ray Cozins
A Congregational Church comes to East Howe
In 1834 Skinner Street Congregational Church, Poole found the funds to build a church at East Howe, in Headless Cross Lane (in 1920 this name was changed to East Howe Lane) and it was built to serve the spiritual needs of the farming communities in the area. It was the Poole Nonconformists who first sent out preachers to hold services in a cottage there in 1834. At the expense of ministers and members of the Skinner Street Congregational Church they built the first church in a small field which they leased for the purpose and the church seated just 50 people.
The Community took back control following vandalism and flytipping: Cllr Dennis Gritt, Alan Keeping, Ted Taylor and Deirdre Redstone went down to see the East Howe Graveyard after it was reported at a Panel meeting that a portaloo had been put in the middle of a grave! Dennis dealt with the matter and it was removed. It was immediately obvious, as we looked around, that the churchyard was a hidden little historical gem which was being used as a haven for drinking and drugs and a dumping ground for household rubbish.